Live from the NEW Eat it. Drink it. Blog!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Spring Dreaming...

Apparently, while J and I were in NOLA, spring literally sprung here. Meaning our lawn is now as high as my knee, and my garden is nowhere NEAR being ready. The sounds of birds humming outside my sliding glass door are rivaled with the hum of the neighbors weed wacking.

It also means allergies and spring colds, apparently.
(My iPhone camera just isn't cutting it today...time to get an actual camera!)

J came home from his gig Saturday night with a "bug." Which has turned into something more than a bug. Given that his big birthday is tomorrow, I am doing everything I can to whip that boy back into shape before tomorrow. Translation: his favorite cure. Matzoh ball soup.

Yes, I know you've already heard me wax poetic about my rocking matzoh ball soup. So I won't bore you. But I will tell you that just because someone has a warm-weather cold doesn't mean you have to stay true to what you'd do in the winter. Visit the farm stand/farmers market and stock up on everything gorgeous that's in season right now. Or, hopefully, you're better than me and have actually planted your garden by now and can pull herbs and greens from your ground! Me, my herbs came from a potted plant outside, which counts in this house. That's garden-light for me.

Tonight's soup of choice has more than just onion, carrot and celery in it. We've got zucchini, squash, asparagus, three different peppers, and tons of herbs. There's a vat of garlic and a sprinkle of turmeric, to make J feel better STAT. And since it's apparently National Herb Week, I threw in the usual suspects (sage, thyme and rosemary) and spiced up the balls themselves with some finely chopped dill. The smells in my house are phenomenal right now, I tell you.

And if anyone wants to swing by and get my garden poppin' for me, I'll save you a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment