Live from the NEW Eat it. Drink it. Blog!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Second Seder: Leftovers


We're a few days into the Passover holiday, and I've been very good. No grains, no flour...not even any beer (which is usually my "allowed sin.") That is due in large part to the insane amount of food I made for our first seder on Monday night. I've still got a fridge full of leftovers...

On Tuesday night, the "seder" was to be just J, my mom, and me. Which in our terms meant eating leftovers with Crystal Bowersox and Dr. Drew. Now my food on Monday was great. But as much as I love leftovers, I couldn't bring myself to eat the exact same plate of food again. All of a sudden, in a flash between seeing Alice in Wonderland 3D (hey, it was a day of rest!) and buying hair gel at Target, I decided I'd make a leftover shepherd's pie!

Shepherd's pie is a tried and true favorite in the world. How could it not be? Cook up some meat, add in some vegetables, and cover the entire thing with mashed potatoes? I'm sorry, what DOESN'T sound good in there? So I set about chopping up my brisket, smashing up some sweet potatoes with the beet horseradish we'd had for the seder (the color was the most gorgeous combination of bright orangey fuschia!) and making us a delicious 2nd seder meal.

What? Surely there is one Jewish celebrity on Sober House, no?

I should say this: I HATE leftover "recipes." In truth, how many of us often have the exact leftovers the recipe calls for? It's bogus. So, for this, the only thing to know is that if you didn't cook a 10lb grass fed brisket for dinner this week, feel free to cook up any kind of meat you want--the recipe will still be delicious. You may need to add some more garlic, or onion or season it a bit more--just go with it.

Leftover Brisket Shepherd's Pie
About 5-7 thick slices of brisket, chopped into small dice
Gravy from brisket
Chicken Stock
1lb bag frozen pearl onions
1/2 lb bag frozen peas
3 sweet potatoes, chopped
3 TBSP prepared horseradish
2 TBSP non fat greek yogurt
salt and pepper
parsley

Preheat oven to 375
Chop sweet potatoes, cover with cold water, cover pot and bring to a boil. (Be sure to remove the lid when the pot starts boiling, or it will boil over.) Cook til fork tender, drain, place back in hot pot on stove.

In a large skillet, add brisket and a bit of gravy to pan. Heat through, adding chicken stock to loosen the gravy.
Add pearl onions.

Mash the potatoes with the horseradish, about 1/4 C of chicken stock (more if necessary) and greek yogurt. Add salt and pepper as needed.
I like my potatoes mashed, not whipped--but this is your world, so do what you like.

Add peas to meat and onions, cook an additional 1 minute.
In a prepared casserole dish (just spray with some olive oil cooking spray) add meat mixture.


Then spoon mashed potatoes on top, spreading a thick layer all over. Make sure to "seal" in the meat with the potatoes.

Bake for 10 minutes, then broil on low until the potatoes get a bit crispy on top.
Garnish with parsley, and serve with additional gravy and horseradish!

No comments:

Post a Comment