Live from the NEW Eat it. Drink it. Blog!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Salad is Born...Now it Needs a Home!

It's a well-known fact that I am, in fact, addicted to salad. Given the other things in life I could choose as my vice, I'm not that concerned. Usually, my salad involves whatever is in the fridge and generally create something that I adore, but most people would call a meal with way too much going on.

Last night, however, this changed. I made the concerted effort to make a salad that made sense, both ingredient-wise, and flavor profile. Ok, I'm totally lying. It was based on the lack of food in our fridge. Tomato, tomato...

Anyway. I put together this variety of flavors with purpose, even though there wasn't much to choose from. Grilled chicken, heart of palm, peach, herb mix, arugula, walnuts. And it was really good. Perfectly light for the late night hour of my eating, but flavorful enough to feel substantial. There was one huge misstep, which was the fact that just 2 days ago I put balsamic vinegar on the grocery list that lives on our fridge. So...the necessary flavor the balsamic goodness would have imparted was missing, but that's what next time is for, right?

But here is the issue. I eat salad at least 4 times a week. At least. And still, I do not have a proper wooden salad bowl. I make my concoction most often in a medium-sized stainless steel mixing bowl. (And yes, most nights I eat it directly out of said bowl...don't judge me!) I have ceramic salad bowls and serving bowls galore, but the one thing we never registered for was a proper wooden salad bowl.  I would love one, and yet somehow never seem to find the money to purchase one. Yes, I realize how ridiculous that statement is, but it's true. There's always something else to buy...

Now I'm on the hunt. Anyone know of a fabulously gorgeous, practical, inexpensive, gorgeous wooden salad bowl for sale?

Recipe
Handful argula
2 C Earthbound Organic Fresh Herb Mix
1 large (or 2 medium) heart of palm, sliced
1 peach, quartered and grilled
1 chicken breast, halved and grilled
1/4 C chopped walnuts

Heat grill pan (or grill) to medium heat; spray with olive oil spray.
Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Place chicken on grill.
Grill chicken for approximately 8 minutes per side (depends on thickness.) Let rest and then slice in half lengthwise and then across.
Place peach segments on grill, turning after 1-2 minutes (you should see strong grill marks.)
Mix all remaining ingredients together, adding chicken and peaches.
Dress with balsamic vinaigrette. 

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos-and what a tasty looking salad! I’ve actually never tried dragon fruit before but I think I may have to go out and search for it just so I can try out this recipe

    Drink Fridges

    ReplyDelete