Live from the NEW Eat it. Drink it. Blog!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Breakfast Club. Like, Totally.


I know this blog is primarily for food, and food "stuffs" but sometimes you guys just need a little more, right? You might already know that my shop is actually housed in the lobby of a live performance theater in the area, The Acorn Theater. The place is incredible, and has seen performances from Jefferson Starship to Richie Havens and many more, and I'm very much involved with the theater on a day to day basis. Last night (Saturday) I hosted a Brew and View at the theater. It was our first one, and I thought it was a perfect way to get through the January Blues that seem to wreak havoc on my neck of the woods. Anyway, more than just a brew and view (you know, a place where you watch movies and drink, a la The Vic in Chicago) I really wanted it to be a theatrical performance. A night of fun and hilarity, of just letting go and being silly. After all, it was being held in the theater! So naturally, my thoughts went RIGHT to the 80s, John Hughes, and to the classic of all classics, "The Breakfast Club."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't more than excited about planning this. I knew I wanted a "Rocky Horror" type experience, with costumes, dancing, talking back to the screen, etc. I knew we would do drink and snack specials, and REALLY make it a fun night. But, in all truth, we blew it out of the water. My partner in crime, BT, and I worked double time trying to make it a super fun night for all. We spent an hour yesterday making up the "Allison" snack. A lunch bag with, yep, you guessed it, captain crunch, buttered white bread, and pixie sticks. (We contemplated Olive Loaf, but come on--do you really want Olive Loaf?)


We came up with specialty cocktails, some of which were great (Bender's Blender, Brian's Brain, and Arcadia's "Cereal Killer" for the beer special) and some of which were good, but needed some tweaking.  I even dressed up--only one photo exists (I believe) and I don't have access to it. But my outfit was "totally 80s" including one very large earring. J dressed up as Bender, and I don't mind telling you he looked FANTASTIC!


We wound up doing an impromptu costume contest winner because so many people got in the spirit. You literally couldn't count the number of authentic Members Only jackets. And the neon. And, quite literally, the amount of Aqua Net that went into last night actually has me feeling a bit guilty for the ozone. I won't babble on with all the particulars about the evening. but know that it was a great time, and I'm in the midst of planning the next one for February. We're thinking "Cocktail" or "Karate Kid." "Fast Times" perhaps?
Any suggestions my friends?

BENDER BLENDER
In a large pitcher, combine the following:
1 part vodka
1 part OJ
1 part Peach Iced Tea
1 part Sprite
Serve over ice

No comments:

Post a Comment